Fedora SMP dual core, dual AMD 64 processor system

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Wed Aug 24 15:09:16 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-24 at 09:51 -0500, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> Oh get off it.  Bigot.

I meant, don't be a bigot.  Don't turn it into an OS conspiracy theory.
I'm not doing that here, and don't relate me to _some_ BSD people.

Just because I keep myself atop of many UNIX developments doesn't mean I
prefer anything but Linux.  Heck, if you want to demonize me, just pick
up Samba Unleashed and complain why I largely wrote non-Linux sections
on BSD and Solaris (i.e., the Linux sections had largely been done when
I was offered).

Heck, I'm regularly demonized as pro-BSD, pro-Linux, pro-Microsoft, pro-
Red Hat, pro-Gentoo, pro-Debian, pro-Sun as well as anti of all those
and more.  Why?  Because people want to make blind alignments whereas I
_refuse_ to do so.  So if you want to make such bigotry statements, then
I need not even discuss.

With that said, I only said that Solaris lets you monitor the
interconnect better.  I never said Solaris is better in general.

Yes, recent benchmarks in LJ and others have shown that for the
_Opteron_, Solaris has been used to segmented memory/IO on SPARC and has
some benefits that Linux focus has not been directed towards.  But
that's another detail, and one I don't think Linux will have a problem
exceeding in the short term as Opteron systems are more commonplace.

--
Bryan J. Smith     b.j.smith at ieee.org     http://thebs413.blogspot.com