SuperMicro H8SSL-i (ServerWorks HT1000) -- JMR SATAStor 6x2.5" in 1x5.25" array

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Thu Dec 1 22:02:12 UTC 2005

John Haxby <jch at scalix.com> wrote:
> Forgive my ignorance, but are some better disks selected?

What do you think most of the new "near-line" models are?
;->  They are just "commodity" drives that test to
higher/better tolerances, even though they come off the same
line as the OEM/desktop ones.  ;->

> Does a similar thing happen with disk testing?
> Better tolerances, noise levels, start-up times?

Exactly, when it comes to the same mechanics.  Some products
are labelled, warrantied differently and sold at a difference
price for a different market.

> Or is it more in the manufacturing and a disk is what it
> is because of the way it's made?

There _are_ still drive models that _are_ manufacturered
differently.

In the 3.5" space, the capacities of 18, 36, 73, 146GB are
"enterprise" 24x7 rated.

The capacities of 100, 200, etc... through 500GB are the
"commodity" 8x5 rated.

Some of the "commodity" types are now being tested to higher
tolerances and sold as "near-line, network-managed" 24x7.