SuperMicro H8SSL-i (ServerWorks HT1000) -- JMR SATAStor 6x2.5" in 1x5.25" array

John Haxby jch at scalix.com
Thu Dec 1 21:18:34 UTC 2005

Bryan J. Smith wrote:

>In fact, if you check the specs, some of the SAS devices are more "near-
>line" specifications.  They are basically rolling off the
>_exact_same_line_ as their SATA brethren!

Forgive my ignorance, but are some better disks selected?   Years ago
during one summer I worked on transistor testing: I remember that a
BC107 could, at one extreme, be a BC109C (high gain, high breakdown
voltage) and at the other extreme only make the grade as a BC107A (low
gain, low breakdown voltage) -- only a relatively small number made the
grade as a BC109C and these were, of course, more expensive.   Does a
similar thing happen with disk testing?  Better tolerances, noise
levels, start-up times?   Or is it more in the manufacturing and a disk
is what it is because of the way it's made?

jch