SuperMicro H8SSL-i (ServerWorks HT1000) -- JMR SATAStor 6x2.5" in 1x5.25" array

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Mon Dec 5 05:06:16 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-12-04 at 22:12 -0500, Peter Arremann wrote:
> *nods* yes... So the manufacturer of the device you talk says something
> different than you. So you're right, AMD is wrong and I'm nit-picking?

AMD and Intel do not differentiate between 36-bit and 52-pin PAE modes
in some of their documentation.  They confusingly call them all PAE, or
they will say PAE, and then say "36-bit" or "52-bit" or -- worse yet --
32-bit mode or Long mode.

They are distinctly two different modes of operation from the standpoint
of the OS/memory manager.  From the user-space, it's no different,
because both use 48-bit pointers.

Bryan J. Smith   mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org
http://thebs413.blogspot.com