Asrock 939Dual-SATA2 Motherboard Strangeness -- nVidia PCI IDs on C51 (GF61x0+nF4x0)

Maurice Hilarius maurice at harddata.com
Thu Dec 29 17:10:51 UTC 2005

Robert L Cochran wrote:

> Thanks Bryan. I guess I shouldn't have bought the Plextor. I've been
> wanting faster burn times for a long while now.

I would disagree. It IS a good drive in all other aspects.
However it is not a bootable device in the case of how you built your
system.
Fortunately there are other alternatives available. For people in your
case I usually suggest installing a card reader device and using a CF
card as a removable boot device.
CF is ATA standard bootable, and virtually all modern motherboards
support booting off such a device over USB interface.

> As regards the power LED, the case connector is a unitized 3-pin
> plastic connector meant for a 3 pin header. I'll have to reseat the
> +5v and GND pins in a new 2-pin connector for this board, right? I
> guess I'm not about to de-install the motherboard just so I can solder
> an alternate 3-pin header on it.

No, just move one of the wires that is currently on the "outside"
location of the 3 hole connector to the "center" position.
A trivial task.
Fix the cable, NOT the motherboard!

Unfortunately there is no true standard yet, and, as Bryan pointed out,
some boards and cases use a 3 pin header, and some use two.
If you have the 3 pin header on the wires it is easy to move one wire in
the housing to the center position.

--

With our best regards,

Maurice W. Hilarius        Telephone: 01-780-456-9771
Hard Data Ltd.  FAX:       01-780-456-9772
11060 - 166 Avenue         email:maurice at harddata.com
Edmonton, AB, Canada       http://www.harddata.com/
   T5X 1Y3