FC3 x86-64 freezes on SATA?!?!

Angelo Machils angelus at sangreal.demon.nl
Sun Feb 20 09:01:22 UTC 2005

Maurice Hilarius wrote:

> Angelo Machils wrote:
>
>> Hello there!
>>
>> Sometimes my box just 'freezes' on me, especially when I try some
>> disk-intensive task (like rebuilding the database for slocate).  It's
>> probably a kernel panic (afterwards there are no entries in any log)
>> and this also happens sometimes even at startup (most times at the
>> 'checking for hardware' point).
>

> First check for memory problems.
> Memtest86 is a good tool for that.
> Google for it.

Thank you for the tip, but there is nothing wrong with the memory, I let
Memtest86+ v1.20 run for about 10 hours and there were no errors. Only
strange thing is that the programs thinks there is single channel DDR400
memory in the box, while there should be dual channel.
I have took out the SCSI card, which had no effect.

When the machine freezes and I do a hard reset of the system I get an
message of course that the system has shutdown uncleanly and if fsck
should check the filesystems. If I choose yes, there will be a kernel
panic during that check (about not syncing, it seems there are two scsi
modules trying to get access while it's locked, sorry don't know the
exact errormessage and since it's a kernel panic there is no logging), I
reset again, do the test again, sometimes there is a 2nd kernel panic or
it goes through the check without errors. The third time is always okay.
After this the system runs for a little while without problems. It seems
that it gets 'thrashed' somehow after a while.

I had the drive also checked with the shop where I bought it, and they
couldn't find anything wrong. I even had win xp 64 RC1 running on the
system for a short while without problems (but perhaps that time was too
short).

Perhaps FC doesn't like the combination of SATA controler and drive??

Thanks, Angelo