dl585 questions

Charles Weber weberc at comcast.net
Thu Jan 20 15:08:46 UTC 2005

I am running Fedora Core 2 X86_64 on several DL345 and DL585 Proliants.
The 345s seem fine in all respects for basically a cheap box. The 585s I
have are configured with 1 5i raid (builtin) and 3 6400 dual channel PCI
Raid with lots of disks, 2 processors and 8GB ram.
I have not yet gotten the 585s to boot with any updated kernels after
2.6.8-1.521smp. It always hangs on audit in either of the 2.6.9 updated
FC2 kernels. Once it hangs I have to boot twice for the 2.6.8 kernel to
start as well. I could swear I saw mail list kernel boot parameter
somewhere, but could not find it.

Just for more work, last night I tried 2.6.10,10-ac10 and 11-rc1 with
auditing not compiled in. If AT Keyboard was compiled in and not a
module it would hang on the keyboard init while booting. If it was
compiled as a module, it would boot fine but the CCISS driver (compiled
in) would not see my 6400 raid controllers.
The 3 dual channel 6400 raid controllers appear as 6 devices,
i.e. /dev/cciss/c0dx, c1dx,d2dx and so on.

I should say that except for this the 585s are very nice servers.
Comments or suggestions please.
--
Charles Weber <weberc at comcast.net>