Athlon64 X2

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Tue Jul 5 22:48:09 UTC 2005

Mark Hahn wrote:

>>with an Athlon 64 3500+, and I want to upgrade to the X2 processors. I
>>also want to start programming specifically for dual cores -- I think
>>

>you can practice by getting a dual-socket board with single-core chips;
>there's nothing new, at least at user-level, to dual-core.

That would be sort of expensive for me. hopefully MSI will release a
BIOS update real soon now.

>>for that your code needs to start multiple threads. I need to start
>>looking for documentation that explains how to do this.
>>

>yes, you need >1 thread or process.  but that can be had using many different
>programming interfaces: fork, threads, openmp, mpi, etc.

Speaking as a beginner in C where can I find good sample code that does
this? How can I programmatically check for multiple CPUs or a multicore
CPU? How can I programmatically send one thread to a specific CPU or CPU
core? Or do I just create multiple threads and let the OS decide where
to send them?