Current best recommendation for Athlon 64 motherboard?

Maurice Hilarius maurice at harddata.com
Thu Mar 3 02:51:08 UTC 2005

Justin Crabtree wrote:

> Rob Kirkbride wrote:
>
>> Axel Thimm wrote on 01/03/2005 13:42:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> what are currently considered good high-end motherboards for desktop
>>> use of Athlon 64s? Chipset recommendations are welcome as well!
>>>

>> I bought an Asus A8V-Deluxe and built a machine around that and it
>> works a treat. Very stable - the onboard sound and ethernet work fine
>> too. It does have a Wireless port on it as well but I haven't
>> downloaded the driver from sourceforge because I haven't needed to.
>> I've tried both FC3 and CentOS4 beta on it and it works fine.
>>
>> Rob
>>

> As far as the best motherboard, that depends on what you need it for.
> I would recommend looking at one of the new boards based on the
> NForce4 or K8T890 chipsets.  Both of these chipsets support
> PCI-Express, which if you are building a new computer is the best way
> to go for future compatibility.  Both chipsets have a just about
> everything you would need in a desktop machine.  Check some reviews on
> reliable sites like AnandTech or Tom's Hardware and good luck.  HTH.

I second this.
The nForce4 is the current leader, mainly because the VIA is so darned new.
I think the ASUS and MSI SLI and non SLI versions are the current
performance and reliability leaders.
The Gigabyte, ECS, and so on are cheaper, but I think at this time you
"get what you pay for".

With our best regards,

Maurice W. Hilarius        Telephone: 01-780-456-9771
Hard Data Ltd.  FAX:       01-780-456-9772
11060 - 166 Avenue         email:maurice at harddata.com
Edmonton, AB, Canada       http://www.harddata.com/
   T5X 1Y3