Current best recommendation for Athlon 64 motherboard?

Justin Crabtree crabtrej at otc.edu
Tue Mar 1 14:10:27 UTC 2005

Rob Kirkbride wrote:
> Axel Thimm wrote on 01/03/2005 13:42:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> what are currently considered good high-end motherboards for desktop
>> use of Athlon 64s? Chipset recommendations are welcome as well!
>>

> I bought an Asus A8V-Deluxe and built a machine around that and it works
> a treat. Very stable - the onboard sound and ethernet work fine too. It
> does have a Wireless port on it as well but I haven't downloaded the
> driver from sourceforge because I haven't needed to.
> I've tried both FC3 and CentOS4 beta on it and it works fine.
>
> Rob

As far as the best motherboard, that depends on what you need it for.  I
would recommend looking at one of the new boards based on the NForce4 or
K8T890 chipsets.  Both of these chipsets support PCI-Express, which if
you are building a new computer is the best way to go for future
compatibility.  Both chipsets have a just about everything you would
need in a desktop machine.  Check some reviews on reliable sites like
AnandTech or Tom's Hardware and good luck.  HTH.

--
Justin Crabtree
Java Programmer