AMD-64 large memory...

dsavage at peaknet.net dsavage at peaknet.net
Sat Mar 5 00:11:16 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-03-04 at 18:31 -0500, Robert L Cochran wrote:
> I realize this is going to sound stupid, but what motherboard, exactly,
> can physically take 32 Gb of memory? What type of memory and where do
> you get it at a reasonable price? It must cost a fortune for that much.
> My wife has some applications that need memory beyond 4 Gb so I'm
> interested in what you have to say.

Bob,

AFAIK, with ten memory slots the Tyan quad-Opteron board
(http://www.tyan.com/products/html/thunderk8qspro.html) is the current
king of the hill. You'd need 4G memory parts ($$$!!!) to get to 32G on
this or any of the many boards with eight memory slots.

But that's all theoretical because when maxed out this mobo is a true
yacht. You know...if you have to ask how much it costs, you can't afford
it.

-- Doc
Robert G. (Doc) Savage, BSE(EE), CISSP, RHCE | Fairview Heights, IL
RHEL4/ES on Tyan S2468UGN w/3G, dual Athlon MP 2800+, 1.1T RAID5
"Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
                         -- Admiral of the Fleet Sergei G. Gorshkov