AMD-64 large memory...

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Sun Mar 6 00:48:50 UTC 2005

dsavage at peaknet.net wrote:

>On Fri, 2005-03-04 at 18:31 -0500, Robert L Cochran wrote:
>

>>I realize this is going to sound stupid, but what motherboard, exactly,
>>can physically take 32 Gb of memory? What type of memory and where do
>>you get it at a reasonable price? It must cost a fortune for that much.
>>My wife has some applications that need memory beyond 4 Gb so I'm
>>interested in what you have to say.
>>

>Bob,
>
>AFAIK, with ten memory slots the Tyan quad-Opteron board
>(http://www.tyan.com/products/html/thunderk8qspro.html) is the current
>king of the hill. You'd need 4G memory parts ($$$!!!) to get to 32G on
>this or any of the many boards with eight memory slots.
>
>But that's all theoretical because when maxed out this mobo is a true
>yacht. You know...if you have to ask how much it costs, you can't afford
>it.
>
>-- Doc
>Robert G. (Doc) Savage, BSE(EE), CISSP, RHCE | Fairview Heights, IL
>RHEL4/ES on Tyan S2468UGN w/3G, dual Athlon MP 2800+, 1.1T RAID5
>"Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
>                         -- Admiral of the Fleet Sergei G. Gorshkov

It's quite true I can't afford one of these babies. But it still leads
me to another question. Where could I go to be shown how to build,
configure, and test these systems? Or are they pretty much the same as
consumer systems -- I've built 3 single processor systems for home use.
Would these be the same, except one installs more CPUs, heat sinks, and
memory. Or does it take specialized knowledge?

Thanks

Bob