AMD-64 large memory...

Maurice Hilarius maurice at harddata.com
Sat Mar 5 05:38:22 UTC 2005

Robert L Cochran wrote:

> I realize this is going to sound stupid, but what motherboard,
> exactly, can physically take 32 Gb of memory? What type of memory and
> where do you get it at a reasonable price? It must cost a fortune for
> that much. My wife has some applications that need memory beyond 4 Gb
> so I'm interested in what you have to say.
>
> Thanks
>
> Bob Cochran

Most dual CPU boards have 8 sockets, and we commonly put 16GB in them.
Using 2GB modules/
We build 4 CPU machines, and these boards have 16 slots.

What is "reasonable price" ?
We currently sell ECC Registered DDR400 low profile 1GB DIMMs (Corsair
CM72SD1024RLP-3200/S) for $205
2GB are $475

For Socket939 board you do not need the ECC modules, and good quality
branded parts are 10% to 15% less.

And you can always find cheaper stuff, but it might be less compatible
or reliable..

With our best regards,

Maurice W. Hilarius        Telephone: 01-780-456-9771
Hard Data Ltd.  FAX:       01-780-456-9772
11060 - 166 Avenue         email:maurice at harddata.com
Edmonton, AB, Canada       http://www.harddata.com/
   T5X 1Y3