[OT] Tyan S2895 K8WE and EPV12V/SSI 3.51 power supply

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Sun Mar 6 04:04:07 UTC 2005

I'm looking at going with one of these for a workstation when they
become available mid-month.

My main reason is that I use 64-bit*66MHz PCI 3Ware Escalade storage
controllers (and am playing around with the 64-bit*66MHz PCI NetCell
controller as well).  Putting these suckers on a 32-bit*33MHz bus in the
nForce4 mainboards is not my idea of a good time, especially as the
audio will compete for the same PCI bus (at least the chipset NIC is
segmented on a PCIe x1 channel).  Especially since I already have 64-
bit*66MHz PCI slots in even my older Athlon MP mainboard (even if the
32*33MHz slots are bridged from it).  The _lack_ of _quality_ PCIe
x1/x4/x8 storage controllers is really killing me (the only one I've
seen is the IOP332 XScale-based LSI SerialATA 8-channel PCIe x8 (bridged
to PCI-X in the IOP332) and it is over $500 -- and still isn't quite as
high performing as the 3Ware Escalade 9000 series at RAID-5, or even the
cheaper 8000 series at RAID-0+1).

I was comparing the specifications of a $200 Athlon64 3500+ 2GHz/512KB
90nm and the $300 Opteron 246 2GHz/1MB 130nm ($500 if I want to go
90nm/55W) and the Opteron edges out the newer Athlon64 in performance
(except for maybe a few things).  So I figured I could go with the S2895
mainboard now, which also gives me the option to upgrade with a 2nd CPU
later on (or maybe dual-core * 2, or maybe just a single-core when the
dual-cores come out and the single-cores drop in price).  The manual
says single processor is okay, as long as you understand the nVidia
2050Pro chip won't be usable (which removes the use of the 2nd PCIe x16
slot and 2nd 10/100/1000 NIC).

[ Side Note:  I also already have a bunch (4 DIMMs) of CL2.5 PC2100
Registered ECC SDRAM which should work fine (it already works with my
Athlon MP, which is basically the same EV6 memory interconnect, only
segmented in the NUMA/EV6 Opteron), saving some cost there.  I'll worry
about upgrading that when I add a 2nd CPU later. ]

The only kicker is the new EPS12V/SSI 3.51 power supply requirement.
>From the looks of it, any EPS12V should do for a single CPU/video card.
But I'm considering buying a solid power supply that will also be usable
when I upgrade.  That means a _true_ 24-pin + 8-pin + 6-pin
"workstation" connector (_not_ a 6-pin AUX connector).  I have _not_
seen a _single_ power supply claiming SSI 3.51.  There are many that
have both 24-pin and either 8-pin or 6-pin, but not both.

The closest I've come to verifying support is the older S2885
recommendations here:
  http://tyan.com/l_german/support/html/r_s2885.html

It also looks like the $190-250 Enermax EPS12V 550/660W power supplies
_might_ have all 3 as well (they call it a EPS12V 2.0).  Especially
given the fact that they have *4* +12V lines (18/18A, 18/16A, 14/14A,
14/14A -- for the 660/550, respectively):
  http://www.enermax.com.tw/products_page.php?
Tid=1&gon=236&Gid=26&Gid2=35

They also have a new $150-175 "All-in-one" 600W series, although I
couldn't verify it has a true 24-pin + 8-pin + 6-pin connector (kinda
looked like it did have the 6-pin, but maybe not the 24-pin + 8-pin
completely in addition, just an option?):
http://www.enermax.com.tw/products_page.php?Tid=1&gon=261&Gid=18&Gid2=45

If _anyone_ has any info on what power supplies will do, let me know.
It seems there are plenty of 24+8 or 24+8/6WS and even 24+8+6AUX but
_not_ the _full_ 24+8+6WS.

The Tyan S2895 isn't on the shelf yet (expected mid-March), so I guess
the power supplies will be more "well-known" then?  But then again, I
don't think the issue is any different than for the S2885 either, and
true 24+8+6 seem to be hard to find.  It might have not been such a big
deal with the S2885's single AGP Pro slot, but now we're talking two (2)
PCIe x16 slots with a lot of power requirements.

Not that I have to worry, I'm only going a single Opteron 246 and
GeForce 6800GT to start.  But I'd still like to buy one power supply
now, and not have to upgrade in 6-9 months when I had the 2nd CPU and
2nd 6800GT.  Which also makes me wonder, if I have the full 24+8+6WS
power, which should deliver adequate power to the card itself (the PS
has 4 +12V inputs!), do I need to use the 4-pin Molex on the 6800GT
video card?  Curious minds want to know.

Bryan J. Smith                   mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org