AMD-64 large memory...

Jyh-Shyong Ho c00jsh00 at nchc.org.tw
Sun Mar 6 06:10:34 UTC 2005

dsavage at peaknet.net wrote:

>On Sun, 2005-03-06 at 10:11 +0800, Jyh-Shyong Ho wrote:
>

>>Robert L Cochran wrote:
>>

>>>It's quite true I can't afford one of these babies. But it still
>>>leads me to another question. Where could I go to be shown how to
>>>build, configure, and test these systems? Or are they pretty much
>>>the same as consumer systems -- I've built 3 single processor
>>>systems for home use. Would these be the same, except one installs
>>>more CPUs, heat sinks, and memory. Or does it take specialized
>>>knowledge?
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>
>>>Bob
>>>

>>Hi,
>>
>>We built a 4-way Opteron server with TYAN mother board and 32GB RAM
>>last September, we used SuSE 9.1 for AMD64, it costed about 30,000
>>US$.  The procedure is the same as for installing sngle and dual
>>Opteron system, no special knowledge is needed (at least in this
>>case, or perhaps we were just lucky).  When all components are
>>properly installed,  SuSE installer  picked up the right kernel and
>>drivers for this 4-way system, the system has been
>>running continuously since then..
>>

>Dr. Ho has probably trumped all of us here by actually having done this.
>In theory it shouldn't be all that different from building any other high
>end system, except it would cost up to ten times as much. I would expect
>the biggest challenges would be hardware: (1) finding a suitable power
>supply (supplies?), (2) finding an enclosure that could channel enough air
>across the board to keep it cool, and (3) finding the 4G memory parts.
>
>I'll be waiting a few more months until AMD releases dual-core Opterons
>before I try upgrading to a more affordable quad system with two sockets.
>
>-- Doc
>Robert G. (Doc) Savage, BSE(EE), CISSP, RHCE | Fairview Heights, IL
>RHEL4/ES on Tyan S2468UGN w/3G, dual Athlon MP 2800+, 1.1T RAID5
>"Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
>                         -- Admiral of the Fleet Sergei G. Gorshkov

Hi,

Next week, a local SI will provide me a price quote for  a 8-way Opteron
server based on IWill's
motherboard, IWill's 8-way Opteron server consists two connected 4-way
Opteron boards in a
5U chassis, there are 32 DIMMs available on the server.  If one can find
4GB RAM, the server
can accomodate 128GB RAM!  If we can get the budget this year, we will
see what the performance
of this 8-way server would be.

As a comparison,  we have a HP Superdome with 64 IA64 CPUs and 128GB RAM
in a 42U rack,
which  costs about 1,300,000 US$ two years ago.  I estimate that the 5U
8-way Opteron server
with 128GB RAM would cost about 70,000US$  today.

If your applications requires very large memory,  IWill's H8501 would be
a very good choice
(http://www.iwill.com.tw/product_2.asp?p_id=90&sp=Y). 8-way Opteron
server should be able
to realize the full performance potential of Opteron's design.

Best regards

Jyh-Shyong Ho, Ph.D.
Research Scientist
National Center for High Performance Computing
Hsinchu, Taiwan, ROC