Can't install FC4 on a ABS Mayhem F-15 A40 (Turion 64 MT-32) laptop

Vladimir G. Ivanovic vladimir at acm.org
Sat Oct 29 08:22:50 UTC 2005

FYI: The Gentoo 2005.1 Universal Installation CD boots and runs.

--- Vladimir

--
Vladimir G. Ivanovic
Palo Alto, CA 94306

    vgi>
    vgi> Hi,
    vgi> I can't get either FC4-i386 or FC4-x86_64 to install on my ABS Mayhem
    vgi> F-15 A40 Turion 64 (MT-32) laptop. I get
    vgi>
    vgi>    VFS: Cannot open root device "NULL"or unknown block(3,2)
    vgi>    Please append a correct "root=" boot option.
    vgi>
    vgi> not far into the boot process.
    vgi>
    vgi> Usually this kind of error occurs when the correct disk controller
    vgi> driver (IDE, SCSI, etc.) for the boot device is not installed. Here
    vgi> the boot device would be the CDROM drive which is an IDE device.
    vgi>
    vgi> I know that the CDROM is found because I get a bunch of boot messages
    vgi> listing what devices are found, and hdc is there (and the boot
    vgi> sequence does at least start and continue for a little bit, so stuff
    vgi> is coming off the CDROM).
    vgi>
    vgi> Neither the FC4-i386 nor the FC4-X86_64 rescue disks work. They
    vgi> exhibit the same behavior as above. The FC3-i386 rescue disk and
    vgi> CentOS 4.2 (x86-64) both boot a bit more than the FC4 installs, but
    vgi> then pretty quickly the screen goes black and nothing happens.
    vgi>
    vgi> Gnoppix 0.8 (i386) and Knoppix 3.8 (i386) both boot and run fine.
    vgi>
    vgi> FreeBSD 6.0-RC1 (amd64) boots and goes into the install process.
    vgi>
    vgi> And of course, the Windoze XP Home Edition that came with the laptop
    vgi> works just fine.
    vgi>
    vgi> Is there some boot command line voodoo I can use to get the FC4-x86_64
    vgi> (or even the FC4-i386) version to boot properly? Is there anything
    vgi> else I should do or not do to get the x86_64 install to work?
    vgi>
    vgi> Thanks.
    vgi>
    vgi> --- Vladimir