Can't install FC4 on a ABS Mayhem F-15 A40 (Turion 64 MT-32) laptop

bloch at verdurin.com bloch at verdurin.com
Sat Oct 29 09:26:09 UTC 2005

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005, Vladimir G. Ivanovic wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I can't get either FC4-i386 or FC4-x86_64 to install on my ABS Mayhem
> F-15 A40 Turion 64 (MT-32) laptop. I get
>
>    VFS: Cannot open root device "NULL"or unknown block(3,2)
>    Please append a correct "root=" boot option.
>
> not far into the boot process.

I don't have the bugzilla reference to hand, but I think this is a
"known problem" and one I've seen on some Opteron machines.

The workaround is to type some garbage into the installer at the prompt
where you'd type "linux text".  For example, type "rubbish", there will
be an error.  Then type what you actually want, e.g. "linux" or "linux
text" and it should proceed normally.