Trouble with Asus SK8V MB with more than 2048M memory

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Sat Apr 8 13:21:34 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-04-08 at 10:41 +0300, Matti Pulkkinen wrote:
> I can't use more than 2048M of memory in my test machine.
> The machine has AMD Athlon 64 FX with 4096 M of
> physical RAM with Asus' SK8V Motherboard.
> I use two 2048M modules, Kingston's KVR266X72RC25/2G.

I've got a theory, remove one DIMM.
Do you get 1GiB now?  ;->

If so, then your mainboard+CPU combionation only supports 1GiB SDRAM IC
technology.  In other words, only half of the capacity of each IC is
being addressed.

I've seen this many times.

> The curious thing is that with Windows XP Professional x64-edition
> and 64-bit Sun Solaris the whole memory space is available. So there
> can't be any serious hardware or configuration problem in the machine.

Hmmm, really?  Wow.  Okay, then it's not hardware, you're right.
I'll have to research this more.

> Has anybody been able to install Linux or FC5 x86-64 on that
> motherboard with more than 2048M of memory?

Yes, but I've always used four (4) 1GiB DIMMs to avoid lack of 2GiB DIMM
support (and only getting half the memory).  I typically get 3.5-3.6GiB
due to the hole sub-4GiB for memory mapped I/O.

--
Bryan J. Smith             Professional, technical annoyance
mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org       http://thebs413.blogspot.com