AM2, X2, Opteron, or Opteron Socket F?

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Mon Aug 21 04:30:11 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-08-20 at 22:31 +0200, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> they had a different design goal (mhz mhz mhz)..

No, that was the result.

Their goal was to get the existing PPro base to beyond 1.0GHz (although
they eventually got the originally timed design to 1.4GHz with a few
async tweaks).  The easiest way to do that was to extend the pipes and
massively increase the staging to make timing at higher clocks easier.
The result was massive inefficiency per MHz.

> so your argument that they're the same is disproved just by your
> statement here already.

Umm, I'd expect someone without a semiconductor design background to
assume that.  ;->

> you can if you pick your system with a tiny bit of care. Basically all
> gige nics are 64 bit capable (maybe a $4 nameless one excepted), and
> AHCI sata is too. All scsi that was made in the last decade is as well.
> Nobody makes high speed pci cards without it basically, and the on board
> stuff is normally ok as well.

There's more to memory mapped I/O than just the NIC and storage.  ;->

But yes, I agree, with 2 or less sockets, it doesn't matter quite as
much -- especially not with the newer Xeon designs.

--
Bryan J. Smith          Professional, technical annoyance
mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org    http://thebs413.blogspot.com