AM2, X2, Opteron, or Opteron Socket F?

Arjan van de Ven arjan at fenrus.demon.nl
Mon Aug 21 07:53:03 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-08-21 at 00:30 -0400, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-08-20 at 22:31 +0200, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> > they had a different design goal (mhz mhz mhz)..
>
> No, that was the result.
>
> Their goal was to get the existing PPro base to beyond 1.0GHz (although
> they eventually got the originally timed design to 1.4GHz with a few
> async tweaks).  The easiest way to do that was to extend the pipes and
> massively increase the staging to make timing at higher clocks easier.
> The result was massive inefficiency per MHz.

actually afaik the alu has some tricks doing even "half clock" stuff
(which then gets used by HT) so it's not as black and white as you make
it out to be

> > so your argument that they're the same is disproved just by your
> > statement here already.
>
> Umm, I'd expect someone without a semiconductor design background to
> assume that.  ;->

do you mean me? I happen to have a semiconductor design background ;)

> > you can if you pick your system with a tiny bit of care. Basically all
> > gige nics are 64 bit capable (maybe a $4 nameless one excepted), and
> > AHCI sata is too. All scsi that was made in the last decade is as well.
> > Nobody makes high speed pci cards without it basically, and the on board
> > stuff is normally ok as well.
>
> There's more to memory mapped I/O than just the NIC and storage.  ;->

yes there is. But all other high speed IO (I don't count floppy's or USB
as such) is also 64 bit capable, at least if it's made in the last
decade or so.