Won't install 64-bit version

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 14:49:13 UTC 2006

On 2/10/06, Michael Miles <mmiles at alacritech.com> wrote:
> I have a brand new multiprocessor AMD Opteron system and I purchased a copy
> of RH Enterprise Linux Workstation v4 which is supposed to support AMD64
> processors.   It does install on the system, but it is definitely not 64-bit
> and when I try to compile a x86_64 kernel on this system it won't compile
> apparently because all the libraries including gcc are 32-bit.

$ uname -a
will tell you for sure what kernel arch you are running (along with
some other stuff).  What exactly are you doing that won't work?

> Does RedHat have a 64-bit version of RHEL that they just don't show as
> purchaseable on their web-site?

They certainly do have a 64-bit RHEL.  Says right here under Platforms:
http://www.redhat.com/en_us/USA/rhel/compare/client/

> Thanks for any information that you can provide and let me know if anyone
> needs more information, I tried to keep it simple.

Well, you paid for RHEL, right?  Go ask Redhat; you paid for support.
This list comes for free and RH can probably answer your question.  No
reason not to get your money's worth :-D.  Of course, we'll  be glad
to answer what we can here.

Jonathan