Fwd: AMD x2 chips

William A. Mahaffey III wam at HiWAAY.net
Wed Feb 15 20:25:58 UTC 2006

Bill Broadley wrote:

<snip>

>Of course this only doubles performance (at the same clock speed) if your
>code is relatively cache friendly, since your sharing a single memory
>bus between 2 cores.  From my experience even memory intensive codes
>often scale in the 1.5-1.8 times faster range.  Worst case, of course,
>is 0% faster.  Actually the worst I've seen is around 5-10%, even on
>completely memory bound code a dual core seems to manage to keep the
>memory bus slightly busier.

Some of the Tyan boards described on their website seem to imply that
they have 4-way interleaved RAM (Quad-channel they call it) for some of
their dual-core boards, that might be the difference you mention ....
$0.02, no more, no less :-).

--
	William A. Mahaffey III

	 ever devised by man."