Reliable Athlon 64 motherboards

Gene C. gene at czarc.net
Tue Mar 21 19:08:11 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 21 March 2006 13:05, Jeremy Sanders wrote:
> Today 13:05:35
>
> Hi - We're looking for a reliable Athlon 64 motherboard. Hopefully this
> will support 4600+ (dual core) processors, SATA, and hopefully gigabit
> networking. Reliability is the key. Is there such a thing?
>
> We've tried using an MSI K8NGM2-FID, based on the nforce chipset. This
> works fine and the gigabit forcedeth appears reliable with the latest
> kernel update. However it oopses every few days for no apparent reason.
>
> We've also tried an Asus A8V-E SE (VIA chipset), but this appears
> terrible. The sky2 driver works (with the latest kernel update for 4.2, or
> the latest RHEL jwl test kernels), but then hangs after an hour or two of
> transferring data. We then tried a tg3 network card and an e1000, and this
> corrupts the data transferred between it and another computer. Maybe it is
> the SATA corrupting the data, but who knows. No obvious errors in the logs
> except for lost ticks. Tried non-SMP, 32 bit, noapic, acpi=off. No luck.
>
> Does anyone have a recommendation for a reliable board? Otherwise we have
> to buy Intel and get the speed loss...

I am using am ABIT AN8 SLI motherboard with an X2 4400+.  I have run both i386
and x86_64 FC4 on it.  I have had a problem with the gigabit intereface but
otherwise it works fine.

I also have an ASUS AN8-E motherboard with an X2 4400+.  All parts (including
the gigabit interface) work fine with i386 and x86_64 FC4.  I just installed
(with only a minor problem) both i386 and x86_64 FC5.  The minor problem is
that I needed to boot the installer with "nodmraid" for the ide disks to be
recognized correctly.  Once installed, FC5 works as expected.
--
Gene