Reliable Athlon 64 motherboards

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Wed Mar 22 13:28:05 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-21 at 14:08 -0500, Gene C. wrote:
> I am using am ABIT AN8 SLI motherboard with an X2 4400+.  I have run both i386
> and x86_64 FC4 on it.  I have had a problem with the gigabit intereface but
> otherwise it works fine.

Yeah, there are far too many MAC+PHY combinations out there that are
fully supported.  If it's an nForce, I find loading nVidia's "nvnet"
solves it in every case.  Then after a few more kernel updates, the MAC
+PHY combo is better supported by GPL drivers.

> The minor problem is that I needed to boot the installer with "nodmraid" for
> the ide disks to be recognized correctly.  Once installed, FC5 works
> as expected.

Go in the BIOS and _change_ the ATA configuration to "Non-RAID."
This plagues _all_ BIOSes these days -- AMD, Intel, nVidia, ViA, etc...
Too many boards ship with "FRAID logic turned on."
I found Intel ICH's 5-way setting to be the most confusing of all.

--
Bryan J. Smith             Professional, technical annoyance
mailto:b.j.smith at ieee.org       http://thebs413.blogspot.com