Reliable Athlon 64 motherboards

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Wed Mar 22 03:57:23 UTC 2006

My Asrock 939Dual-SATA2 board (currently running the 1.5 BIOS revision)
is great. It enabled me to upgrade to an Athlon X2 4400+ and recycle my
some older hardware: 2 Gb of Adata PC3200 memory and a now-ancient ATI
All-In-Wonder 9700 Pro AGP video card. I could add a PCI Express video
board to this motherboard, and presumably, it will also easily convert
to a new processor type.

At the last check, this motherboard doesn't support my Plextor PX-716SA
dual layer DVD writer. I think Plextor (and Outpost.com, the reseller)
were at the very least a bit dishonest by not saying clearly at the top
of the product description, "This optical device only works on certain
motherboards. The list of compatible boards is here ----." In fairness,
Outpost.com did agree to RMA the device for me. I missed the deadline
for returning the drive, so it is still here with me. I'm using my old
Sony DVD writer -- which is slower than an arthritic sloth, but it works.

I still feel that Plextor shafted me and probably quite a few other
users too. This was a good lesson -- always check optical drives for
compatibility issues, don't assume that an optical drive will "just
work" as long as you have the right physical interface (IDE, SATA).
Always keep the original packaging, too, until you are absolutely sure
the new hardware really works.

Other than this one gripe I'm happy with the board.

Replacing this board with one compatible with the Plextor drive doesn't
make much sense. It's a lot of work just for an optical drive and who
knows if I'll bend a processor pin while transferring the proc. Besides
I'm becoming really interested in embedded devices and just started
studying "TCP/IP Lean Second Edition" by Jeremy Betham.

Bob Cochran
Greenbelt, Maryland, USA