Debian and dmraid... is it possible to install?

Emiliano Esposito skywalk3r at fastwebnet.it
Wed Jul 20 23:24:49 UTC 2005

Greetings to all!

First of all, I hope not being OT nor asking something already asked (I've searched much for this though...).

In short: I need to install Debian (via cds or net-install) on an asus a7n8x with silicon image 3112 medley RAID, two maxtor 160 gb sata disks.

I have Windows and a Gentoo up and working, but now I need Debian. The latest distro (sarge stable) won't recognize the array with kernel 2.6.8 nor with 2.4.27.

This is what I tried to do:

- booted gentoo, and copied dmraid and udev (+ libs) onto a floppy
- booted minimally debian from cd
- mounted the floppy and copied all on the fly onto the ramdisk

Then various (different) attempts:

- configure md via debian installer
- configure LVM as above
- modprobe dm-mod

...and then:

udev
dmraid -ay

Doing this I finally get all the partitions shown into /dev/mapper/sil_xxx as with Gentoo, I can mount and format them, but this is the error when I try to install the base system:

[installing kernel-2.6.8-386.deb]
/usr/sbin/mkinitrd: /dev/mapper/sil_xxxx9 is not a valid block device.
[error message]

What can I do now?? What could this error mean? It is a fatal error that won't quit the installation but would loop to "install base system".

Thank you for reading! ;)

Regards
Emiliano Esposito