problems with via controller and msdos

Alessandro Jacopini alejacop at yahoo.com
Thu May 19 22:26:12 UTC 2005

Hi
I tried again to activate my raid array, this time
with the d and v options both on.
The messages I got are the following:

WARN: locking /var/lock/dmraid/.lock
NOTICE: skipping removable device /dev/hdc
NOTICE: skipping removable device /dev/hdb
NOTICE: /dev/hda: via    discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sda: via    discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sda: via metadata discovered
NOTICE: /dev/sdb: via    discovering
NOTICE: /dev/sdb: via metadata discovered
DEBUG: _find_set: searching via_cdjiceidbi
DEBUG: _find_set: not found via_cdjiceidbi
DEBUG: _find_set: searching via_cdjiceidbi
DEBUG: _find_set: not found via_cdjiceidbi
NOTICE: added /dev/sda to RAID set "via_cdjiceidbi"
DEBUG: _find_set: searching via_cdjiceidbi
DEBUG: _find_set: found via_cdjiceidbi
DEBUG: _find_set: searching via_cdjiceidbi
DEBUG: _find_set: found via_cdjiceidbi
NOTICE: added /dev/sdb to RAID set "via_cdjiceidbi"
DEBUG: checking via device "/dev/sda"
DEBUG: checking via device "/dev/sdb"
DEBUG: set status of set "via_cdjiceidbi" to 16
NOTICE: discovering partitions on "via_cdjiceidbi"
NOTICE: /dev/mapper/via_cdjiceidbi: dos    discovering
ERROR: dos: reading /dev/mapper/via_cdjiceidbi[No such
file or directory]
WARN: unlocking /var/lock/dmraid/.lock
DEBUG: freeing devices of RAID set "via_cdjiceidbi"
DEBUG: freeing device "via_cdjiceidbi", path
"/dev/sda"
DEBUG: freeing device "via_cdjiceidbi", path
"/dev/sdb"

Does this mean something to you?

> What unit is it reporting in?
> A sector is usually 512 bytes, so if the above is
> sectors, the number
> would correspond to 114 GB (eg. a "120GB" disk).
>
> > for two 120MB drives in mirroring mode.

You are right, the size is reported correctly

Thanks
Alessandro