Intel SATA RAID

Hadders ata.raid at workingwithit.com
Sat Dec 9 02:46:38 UTC 2006

Hi all,
  I've been asking questions over on the fedora-list, but someone
suggested I try here.

I have a 945P Intel chipset, and have just bought two Seagate 320GB
SATAII disks. They have been jumpered for SATAII peformance and I've
created a RAID 0 container through the Intel BIOS.  I've loaded the
drivers in to Windows and can see the container there okay. I haven't
set it to boot from yet, because I want to migrate my existing Linux
setup to it.  This is where the fun starts.

To share the RAID 0 container between Linux and Windows I need to use
the Intel driver set.
I will eventually set this as my boot device and use GRUB to boot
between XP, Vista and Linux (FC5).

However, I can't seem to load the container from within my FC5 setup
kernel: 2.6.17-1.2145_FC5smp
dmraid version:         1.0.0.rc9 (2005.09.23) debug
dmraid library version: 1.0.0.rc9 (2005.09.23)
device-mapper version:  4.6.0

 > dmraid -s -g
*** Superset
name   : isw_bdbbdbcbda
size   : 1250284892
stride : 0
type   : GROUP
status : ok
subsets: 1
devs   : 2
spares : 0
--> Subset
name   : isw_bdbbdbcbda_MyRAID0
size   : 1250275846
stride : 256
type   : stripe
status : ok
subsets: 0
devs   : 2
spares : 0

That's cool, makes sense, group, containing MyRAID0 (name in Intel BIOS)
 >  dmraid -ay
ERROR: dos: reading /dev/mapper/isw_bdbbdbcbda_MyRAID0[No such file or
directory]
huh?! why does it error?

 > ls -la  /dev/mapper
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root      80 Dec  9 10:42 .
drwxr-xr-x 11 root root    4540 Dec  9 10:42 ..
crw-------  1 root root  10, 63 Dec  9 10:27 control
brw-rw----  1 root disk 253,  0 Dec  9 10:42 isw_bdbbdbcbda_MyRAID0

 > fdisk -l /dev/mapper/isw_bdbbdbcbda_MyRAID0
(nada, zip, zilch, nutin')

So I can see it, but can't access it??
Weird thing, if I boot up FC5 disk 1 and do a linux rescue, I can see it
and list things partitions (made from fdisk in rescue mode)? How is it
mounting it, yet I can't?

Please, any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance. Hadders