Intel ICH8R chipset

Daniel O'Connor darius at dons.net.au
Thu Mar 1 05:45:57 UTC 2007

On Thursday 01 March 2007 15:39, Hall, Eric R wrote:
> Or one could just mirror /boot from the first disk to the first two or
> three disks.  It'd be a pain, but you might still be able to boot...

How? The BIOS is doing the reading from those disks if it doesn't understand
how to use the redundancy there is a problem.

I would be surprised if a "firmware" RAID system (like say a Promise FT100TX2
or FT2300) would be any slower than using those disks on a comparable but
non-RAID controller.

Once the OS starts it is its responsibility to maintain the metadata but it
should still be able to get a good speed. I would say the requirement to sync
the metadata to disk will slow it down but a pure software RAID system should
do the same or risk array corruption.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum