[augeas-devel] First Post! Doco questions

David Lutterkort dlutter at redhat.com
Tue Feb 26 17:22:05 UTC 2008

Hi Bryan,

Congrats on this monumental achievement ;)

On Tue, 2008-02-26 at 11:26 -0500, Bryan Kearney wrote:
> I started playing this morning. Couple of things on the Quick Tour:
>
> * On the sandbox, I think you want the etc directory to be
> /tmp/augeas-sandbox.

Ugh .. yes, I'll fix the docs.

>  The current steps for me puts the contents of etc
> into /tmp/augeas-sandbox. Once I put etc in there all was good.
> * It was not clear to me that /system/config was equal to the AUGEAS_ROOT.

It's actually a little more complicated than that: each of the *.aug
files contains a 'map' statement that establishes the file <-> tree
correspondence. There's nothing really special about /system/config, but
by longstanding tradition, all systemwide configuration data goes there.

There _is_ something special about the /augeas subtree. That is used to
report various things: /augeas/root gives you the same value as
AUGEAS_ROOT, and for any file with full path p /augeas/files/$p gives
some information about parsing that file. In
particular, /augeas/files/$p/error has some non-null value if parsing of
that file failed.

Seems like I need to write a little more about the tree.