[augeas-devel] First Post! Doco questions

Bryan Kearney bkearney at redhat.com
Tue Feb 26 17:32:01 UTC 2008

David Lutterkort wrote:
> Hi Bryan,
>
> Congrats on this monumental achievement ;)

I can't wait to tell my kids about it.

>>  The current steps for me puts the contents of etc
>> into /tmp/augeas-sandbox. Once I put etc in there all was good.
>> * It was not clear to me that /system/config was equal to the AUGEAS_ROOT.
>
> It's actually a little more complicated than that: each of the *.aug
> files contains a 'map' statement that establishes the file <-> tree
> correspondence. There's nothing really special about /system/config, but
> by longstanding tradition, all systemwide configuration data goes there.

FWIW.. I think in filesystem terms. I want to edit the file in directory
"foo". Now.. if you tell me that for cross-platform reasons that I can
count on "foo" mapping to "bar" on one distro and "JarJar" on another, I
am more comfortable with it.

> There _is_ something special about the /augeas subtree. That is used to
> report various things: /augeas/root gives you the same value as
> AUGEAS_ROOT, and for any file with full path p /augeas/files/$p gives
> some information about parsing that file. In
> particular, /augeas/files/$p/error has some non-null value if parsing of
> that file failed.

can I set stuff in that tree :).. akin to setting true=false in a
smalltlak image?

-- bk