[augeas-devel] First Post! Doco questions

David Lutterkort dlutter at redhat.com
Tue Feb 26 17:53:54 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-02-26 at 12:32 -0500, Bryan Kearney wrote:
> > It's actually a little more complicated than that: each of the *.aug
> > files contains a 'map' statement that establishes the file <-> tree
> > correspondence. There's nothing really special about /system/config, but
> > by longstanding tradition, all systemwide configuration data goes there.
>
> FWIW.. I think in filesystem terms. I want to edit the file in directory
> "foo". Now.. if you tell me that for cross-platform reasons that I can
> count on "foo" mapping to "bar" on one distro and "JarJar" on another, I
> am more comfortable with it.

Yeah, that's the best way to think about that for now. You might be able
to hide some cross-platform differences with this mapping, but I have no
idea how well that will work in practice.

> > There _is_ something special about the /augeas subtree. That is used to
> > report various things: /augeas/root gives you the same value as
> > AUGEAS_ROOT, and for any file with full path p /augeas/files/$p gives
> > some information about parsing that file. In
> > particular, /augeas/files/$p/error has some non-null value if parsing of
> > that file failed.
>
> can I set stuff in that tree :).. akin to setting true=false in a
> smalltlak image?

You can change things underneath /augeas, but it won't have any effect.
Those values are really readonly, although nothing enforces that.