[augeas-devel] gnulib

David Lutterkort dlutter at redhat.com
Fri Jun 20 19:11:02 UTC 2008

Hi Nicolas,

On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 01:24 -0500, Nicolas Valcarcel wrote:
> 	I've been testing and playing with augeas and it's really cool! I will
> try to work on it in the short time after i get used to it and get it as
> backed of a project i have in hands [1], for that i'm packaging it for
> ubuntu and i have noticed you are including gnulib on the source package
> and i was wondering why is it there and if it is really needed to be
> there or i can drop it and just use it as build dependency?

Gnulib is only included so that Augeas can be built on systems that do
not use glibc (e.g. FreeBSD) When you build on Ubuntu, very little of
gnulib is actually used and linked into libaugeas.

The only part of gnulib that might be used when you build on Ubuntu is
the regex package (because some glibc versions on x86_64 have a regex
implementation that does not work properly for very large strings)

You shouldn't strip it out manually though, there's really no benefit to
doing that, and it will likely lead to trouble during building.