[augeas-devel] Some ideas about how to use Augeas with IPA

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed May 14 13:26:05 UTC 2008

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 02:46:18PM +0200, Dominique Dumont wrote:
> Harald Hoyer <harald at redhat.com> writes:
>
> > Dominique Dumont wrote:

> >> Yes. Here they are
> >>
> >> [1] http://freshmeat.net/releases/275271/
> >> [2] http://config-model.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/config-model/trunk/config-model-sshd/lib/Config/Model/models/Sshd.pl?revision=659&view=markup
> >>
> >> Sorry for the mistake.
> >>

> > Hmm.. Perl.. well, that makes it non-useable for most things like
> > our python config tools, dbus services, etc..
>
> I'd say more difficult, but not non-useable.
>
> There are ways to call Perl from Python with pyperl:

The issue is not, can it be done. The issue is whether it is sensible.
And if you're at all interested in building tools that can be used in
a miniaml footprint OS  (ie < 64 MB), then having multiple language
runtimes is a non-starter. That's why the Augeus approach of a core C
library with language bindings is so important.

> And there's a binding between dbus and Perl:
>
>    http://search.cpan.org/dist/Net-DBus/
>
> I grant you that I have not tried these modules so I don't know if
> they are easy to use.

The Net-DBus module is absolutely incredibly awesome & easy to use !

Regards,
Daniel  (the Net-DBus author ;-)
--
|: Red Hat, Engineering, Boston   -o-   http://people.redhat.com/berrange/ :|