[augeas-devel] Some ideas about how to use Augeas with IPA

Dominique Dumont dominique.dumont at hp.com
Wed May 14 14:17:46 UTC 2008

"Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange at redhat.com> writes:

>> There are ways to call Perl from Python with pyperl:
>
> The issue is not, can it be done. The issue is whether it is
> sensible.  And if you're at all interested in building tools that
> can be used in a miniaml footprint OS (ie < 64 MB), then having
> multiple language runtimes is a non-starter.

Sure. In this context, Config::Model is not the best approach.

I'm interested in making configuration easy for any user (including
newbies) even if it means providing a GUI [1] (which would not fit on
a really small system) with embedded help and immediate error return
(i.e. at "set" time, not at "save" time)

> That's why the Augeus approach of a core C library with language
> bindings is so important.

Sure. I do think Augeas is a good project with a lot of great ideas.
(And I'll probably use it because it will provide a lot of
parser/writer for configuration files)

> The Net-DBus module is absolutely incredibly awesome & easy to use !
>
> Regards,
> Daniel  (the Net-DBus author ;-)

;-)

Cheers

[1] http://sourceforge.net/project/screenshots.php?group_id=155650

--
Dominique Dumont
"Delivering successful solutions requires giving people what they