[augeas-devel] FreeBSD /etc/rc.conf

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu Nov 18 18:21:52 UTC 2010

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 04:44:19PM +0100, David Lutterkort wrote:
> What should that information look like ? Right now, the best you cna do
> is make changes, do a noop save, and see if that causes an error.

I think it would look like some sort of type metadata on the field,
passed up from the lens all the way to callers, which could describe
what kind of field it is. (eg. in this case a shell-processed
string).

Other information that Augeas has at present could be passed up here
too, like any regexp that the string must match.  (Perhaps that is
already done ? - I can never find good comprehensive documentation for
the Augeas tree).

This would allow callers to make sensible decisions on whether and how
to escape fields.  At the moment the caller seems to be some distance
away from this information.

Rich.

bindings from many languages.  http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/libguestfs/
See what it can do: http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/libguestfs/recipes.html