[augeas-devel] Who should ship lenses?

Dominic Cleal dcleal at redhat.com
Sat Apr 2 18:01:11 UTC 2011

On 02/04/11 18:36, Jeff Johnson wrote:
> On Apr 2, 2011, at 1:23 PM, Raphaël Pinson wrote:
>>> IMHO, I think the way it's done right now, keeping lenses in a central
>>> repository, is the way to go. We can find other projects that works this
>>> way, like vim, where most syntax highlighting belongs to the vim
>>> package, not the upstream one, excepted for few.
>>
>> When my vim syntax doesn't exactly fit the file I'm editing, it's
>> frustrating at most, but not a big issue. When an Augeas lens doesn't
>> parse or write a conffile properly, it's a major issue. I think we
>> should encourage Augeas lenses to be associated with usptream software
>> as much as possible.
>
> There are two issues:
>
>     Who maintains lenses?
>     How are lenses updated and distributed?
>
> that have perhaps different answers. I'd suggest foccussing
> on a distribution scheme for lenses, perhaps something lightweight
> like gems/eggs, without worrying about maintainership quite yet.

I can't really see that such a system's needed, we already have the
packaging infrastructure for shipping the applications themselves -
lenses are just part of this and are very much tied to the application.
 The examples of gems and eggs serve a different purpose, to distribute
entire libraries or applications.

Vim syntax files don't need a separate packaging system, why does
Augeas?  I wouldn't like to see yet another package manager and format..

73,

--
Dominic Cleal
Red Hat Consulting