[augeas-devel] optional xml support

David Lutterkort lutter at redhat.com
Fri Feb 24 20:07:28 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Fri, 2012-02-24 at 16:01 +0800, zzs wrote:
> Hello everyone:
>  I'm using augeas on my embedded prj.When I want to
> update augeas to release 0.10.0. There is a problem:
> The augeas now Introduces dependency on libxml2.
> But my embedded sys has no space to load it.
>
> So my question is:
>
> Why not let the xml support be a option

I had no idea people used augeas on embedded platforms - making libxml2
a requirement was based on the fact that on full OS installs these days
you won't get away with libxml2 anyway.

But I am perfectly fine with making that optional. It would require
configure.ac to accept a '--without-libxml' option; this would also make
aug_to_xml unavailable. The big question is: should that function be
removed completely from the API if you build w/o libxml, or should it be
replaced by an implementation that always returns -1 ?