[augeas-devel] optional xml support

zzs zzs213 at 126.com
Mon Feb 27 02:22:18 UTC 2012

In message <1330114048.20204.11.camel at melon.watzmann.net> David Lutterkort wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 2012-02-24 at 16:01 +0800, zzs wrote:
> > Hello everyone:
> >  I'm using augeas on my embedded prj.When I want to
> > update augeas to release 0.10.0. There is a problem:
> > The augeas now Introduces dependency on libxml2.
> > But my embedded sys has no space to load it.
> >
> > So my question is:
> >
> > Why not let the xml support be a option
>
> I had no idea people used augeas on embedded platforms - making libxml2
> a requirement was based on the fact that on full OS installs these days
> you won't get away with libxml2 anyway.

Yes, I'm using it to manage custom config files in my embedded project.
And in my project using no xml.

> But I am perfectly fine with making that optional. It would require
> configure.ac to accept a '--without-libxml' option; this would also make
> aug_to_xml unavailable. The big question is: should that function be
> removed completely from the API if you build w/o libxml, or should it be
> replaced by an implementation that always returns -1 ?

I think it is good to remove aug_to_xml completely from the API, Because
the lib's user can found error on compile time if he using aug_to_xml
but with '--without-libxml' to build the lib

--
Best Regards,
zzs