[augeas-devel] Versionned online documentation

Raphaël Pinson raphael.pinson at camptocamp.com
Thu Jun 20 22:18:47 UTC 2013

Hello,

I have heard several times people asking for online documentation for a
specific version of Augeas. While the augeas-doc Debian package has been
providing this for offline use for quite some time, I thought it would
indeed be a good idea to have an online version, in a similar way to what
is done for Puppet for example.

So I went ahead and adapted the scripts to build the website, so the doc is
generated for all tagged releases in git.

This is already pushed to augeas.net. As a result:

* You can access the list of stock lenses for any release at
http://augeas.net/stock_lenses/$version, e.g.
http://augeas.net/stock_lenses/0.5.3
* Since NaturalDocs was added in 0.3.2, I have generated the online doc
based on it since that release, and the stock lenses pages link to their
respective versionned doc, e.g. augeas.net/docs/references/0.5.3/lenses

This works quite fine, but there is one downside to this: it takes a long
time to generate the website, because it builds the NaturalDocs docs for
every past release. It's quite ok for now because we don't build the
website every day, but I'll be thinking of a way to keep some kind of cache
for previous releases, as their is no point in rebuilding docs for them
every time.

Cheers,

--
Raphaël Pinson