[augeas-devel] RedHat EL6 compile 1.9.0: dump.c:133: undefined reference to `rpl_getopt'

David Lutterkort lutter at watzmann.net
Mon Dec 4 20:30:07 UTC 2017

Hi,

I just tried building on a CentOS 6 machine with 'configure && make', and
that worked fine for me. getopt is part of glibc; the fact that the linker
is looking for rpl_getopt indicates that it is trying to use the
replacement function from gnulib, which it shouldn't on RHEL. Looking at
gnulib/m4/getopt.m4, it seems there's a few things that could trigger using
a replacement getopt: cross-compilation, not having a awk that supports
ENVIRON, etc. Does config.log contain anything about failed tests related
to getopt ?

What command is being run exactly to configure the package ?  I recently
updated the Fedora spec file
<https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/augeas/blob/master/f/augeas.spec> and
all that needed was removing dump after the 'make install'. Hopefully,
using a similar spec for RHEL fixes this issue.

If you send me some more information along the lines of my questions above,
I'd be more than happy to help.

David