[Avocado-devel] General test running questions

Lucas Meneghel Rodrigues lookkas at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 06:29:39 UTC 2015

On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 1:38 PM Olav Philipp Henschel <
olavph at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:

> I have a few questions regarding test running, the multiplexer and test
> variants:
>
> In avocado-vt, each test has a cartesian config file that is applied
> only to that single test. Is there any plan to do something similar with
> multiplex files? Sometimes I want to create variants to one test but not
> the other.

Strictly speaking, each individual .cfg file ends up merged on a goddamn
giant subtests.cfg file.

I'd say we want to support modularity between multiplex files, but I'm not
sure if we already have an include system implemented there. Have we, Lukas?

> Is there currently any way of making a test dependent on another? For
> example, if an unattended_install test fails, I want avocado to skip the
> other tests.

For avocado-vt, yes, sure. The cartesian config has provisions for that.
However, for avocado-virt (AKA the next generation), we had endless
discussions about that and reached the conclusion that having a dependency
system is bad design. Each test should be able to run independently of
other tests. If you need an installed vm for the tests, you should be able
to specify that as a requirement for your test. The requires system is
something still being designed.

> Is there any way of specifying a set of tests to run, instead of passing
> each one of them? In avocado-vt, we can specify the test provider, or a
> substring of the complete test name. It would be useful if we could pass
> globs or something like that to execute all tests in a directory.

You can pass the test directory to avocado. The test resolver will find and
run all the tests inside that directory:

avocado run examples/tests
JOB ID     : 90da56e7af74bc493a6c8990d805c585380abc6b
JOB LOG    :
/home/lmr/avocado/job-results/job-2015-12-02T04.27-90da56e/job.log
TESTS      : 57
 (1/57) examples/tests/warntest.py:WarnTest.test: WARN (0.00 s)
 (2/57) examples/tests/passtest.py:PassTest.test: PASS (0.00 s)

So I believe that covers your use case.