[Avocado-devel] virttest missing under avocado-vt

Lucas Meneghel Rodrigues lookkas at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 14:39:14 UTC 2015

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 7:25 AM srikanth <sraithal at linux.vnet.ibm.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have followed below procedure to setup avocado and avocado-VT.
>
> Host OS: Fedora-22
>
> 1. Install avocado
>
> sudo curl
> http://copr.fedoraproject.org/coprs/lmr/Autotest/repo/fedora-20/lmr-Autotest-fedora-20.repo
> -o /etc/yum.repos.d/autotest.repo
> sudo yum update
> sudo yum install avocado
>
> 2. Install avocado-vt
> yum install avocado-plugins-vt
> avocado vt-bootstrap --vt-type qemu
> avocado plugins
> Plugins enabled:
>      config        Implements the avocado 'config' subcommand
>      distro        Implements the avocado 'distro' subcommand
>      exec_path     Implements the avocado 'exec-path' subcommand
>      gdb           Run tests with GDB goodies enabled
>      inner_runner  Allows the use of an intermediary inner test runner
>      json          JSON output
>      journal       Test journal
>      multiplexer   Implements the avocado 'multiplex' subcommand
>      plugins_list  Implements the avocado 'plugins' subcommand
>      run_remote    Run tests on a remote machine
>      run_vm        Run tests on a Virtual Machine
>      sysinfo       Collect system information
>      test_lister   Implements the avocado 'list' subcommand
>      test_runner   Implements the avocado 'run' subcommand
>      vt_bootstrap  Avocado VT - implements the 'vt-bootstrap' subcommand
>      vt            Avocado VT - legacy virt-test support
>      vt_lister     Avocado VT - implements legacy virt-test listing
>      wrapper       Implements the '--wrapper' flag for the 'run' subcommand
>      xunit         xUnit output
>
> [srikanth at localhost avocado-vt]$ pwd
> /home/srikanth/avocado/data/avocado-vt
> [srikanth at localhost avocado-vt]$ ls
> backends  downloads  gpg  images  isos  steps_data  test-providers.d
>
> Couple of queries:
>
> 1. I am not able to find virttest directory in 'avocado-vt'.
> Specifically I am looking for vm_xml.py and hostdev.py files. Is this
> expected? Should I git clone 'avocado-vt' to those files?

No. virttest is installed in your python site-packages directory.

/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/virttest/
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/virttest/libvirt_xml/vm_xml.py
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/virttest/libvirt_xml/devices/hostdev.py

2. When I run `avocado list --vt-type qemu` I see list of tests for qemu
> [without using sudo].
> But same for libvirt returns below mentioned error.
> [srikanth at localhost avocado-vt]$ avocado list --vt-type libvirt
> Test discovery plugin <avocado.core.plugins.vt.VirtTestLoader object at
> 0x7f3f1c756450> failed: In order to use config vt.qemu.nettype 'bridge' you
> need to be root

The problem is exactly as the error message says. Due to the fact that
libvirt forces nettype 'bridge', you can't list libvirt tests as a regular
user.