[Avocado-devel] avocado-vt: How to use Host_* variants?

Cleber Rosa crosa at redhat.com
Sun Jul 10 23:49:16 UTC 2016

On 07/08/2016 06:18 AM, Lukáš Doktor wrote:
> Dne 30.6.2016 v 21:21 Eduardo Habkost napsal(a):
>> While trying to run the cpuid test cases using avocado-vt, I
>> found out that the machine_rhel variants are being automatically
>> filtered out. Then I found out that the most recent version of
>> qemu_cpu.cfg depends on a "Host_RHEL" variant being defined.
>>
>> I don't know how this host-version check system works. Does
>> anybody know how to make the Host_RHEL variant be defined and
>> available when running the test cases under avocado-vt?
>>
>> Or is this Host_* magic not supported by avocado-vt yet and we
>> can't run any of the variants containing "only Host_RHEL" under
>> avocado-vt?
>>

> Hello Eduardo,
>
> I haven't played with that part for a while, but Host_RHEL used to be
> set by the internal runner used by QA and I don't think it was added to
> avocado-vt, therefor the filters should not be pushed upstream (or the
> support for it should have been added as well).
>
> CC: Xu and Feng, do you guys know more about this?
>
> Regards,
> Lukáš

Eduardo and Lukáš,

As you're surely noticed, I was even more confused than you guys.  The
extra confusion was caused by the fact that, when I started to review:

  https://github.com/autotest/tp-qemu/pull/686

I was still unaware of this thread.  Looks like a MUA problem, but
that's now irrelevant.

The important thing here is that, under no circumstance, we can have
upstream code that depends on tools, configuration files, or know-how
that's not upstream.  I'm not judging the "Host_*" variant creation
mechanism at this point, but simply stating that *any* upstream user
should be able to run tests.  At the most, users should be able to read
documentation and setup their systems accordingly, but the information
should be available.

Feng, Xu,

We really need you help.  First to identify what kind of tool is
generating the "Host_" variants config files.  Second, to port that to
upstream Avocado-VT.

Thanks!

--
Cleber Rosa
[ Sr Software Engineer - Virtualization Team - Red Hat ]