[Avocado-devel] New questions

Cleber Rosa crosa at redhat.com
Wed Sep 14 16:38:16 UTC 2016

On 09/14/2016 12:59 PM, Lucas Meneghel Rodrigues wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 8:32 AM Marcos E. Matsunaga <
> Marcos.Matsunaga at oracle.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> I have some questions about how avocado works.
>>
>> 1. If I run avocado and give it a directory that has all tests. Is there
>> a way to specify the order of execution? I mean, if I name the files
>> 001-xxx.py, 010-aa.py, will it execute 001-xxx.py before 010-aa.py or it
>> doesn't follow an alphabetical order?
>>

> There is - You can specify their order of execution in the command line:
>
> avocado run failtest.py raise.py doublefree.py
> JOB ID     : 6047dedc2996815659a75841f00518fa0f83b1ee
> JOB LOG    :
> /home/lmr/avocado/job-results/job-2016-09-14T12.53-6047ded/job.log
> TESTS      : 3
>  (1/3) failtest.py:FailTest.test: FAIL (0.00 s)
>  (2/3) raise.py:Raise.test: PASS (0.11 s)
>  (3/3) doublefree.py:DoubleFreeTest.test: PASS (1.02 s)
> RESULTS    : PASS 2 | ERROR 0 | FAIL 1 | SKIP 0 | WARN 0 | INTERRUPT 0
> TESTS TIME : 1.13 s
> JOB HTML   :
> /home/lmr/avocado/job-results/job-2016-09-14T12.53-6047ded/html/results.html
>

>> 2. Lets take into consideration that same directory. Some of the scripts
>> will have multiplex configuration files. Does avocado automatically look
>> at some specific directory for those multiplex configuration files? I've
>> tried to add them to the data, cfg and even the <script>.data
>> directories, but it seems that it doesn't look for them automatically,
>> only when I specify the option --multiplex, but then, the file will be
>> used by all scripts and I was only able to specify a single multiplex file.
>>

> The original design assumption was that you'd execute only one test that
> has a multiplex file, and provide the multiplex file with it, so indeed
> what you wan't to do can't be done right now. I suppose multiple tests with
> multiplex files and multiplex file auto detection would be a nice feature
> to add moving forward, though.
>

>> 3. I tried to find if it was possible to start multiple test processes
>> in parallel, but it seems that avocado doesn't have anything like that.
>> Lets say I have 4 guests and I want to execute performance tests while
>> same time. It doesn't have a feature that will do that, right?
>>

> Executing tests in multiple remote machines was something that we din't
> think about either, and one that would be very interesting to add indeed.

Actually, we did think about it a while ago:

https://trello.com/c/x5Nlkdjo/360-multiplexed-test-runners

But, as stated in the card text and status (archived), we now see the
(upcoming) Job API as a way to solve this:

https://github.com/clebergnu/avocado/blob/rfc_job_api/docs/rfcs/job-api.rst#multi-host-test-execution

--
Cleber Rosa
[ Sr Software Engineer - Virtualization Team - Red Hat ]