[Avocado-devel] New questions

Lucas Meneghel Rodrigues lookkas at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 15:59:16 UTC 2016

On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 8:32 AM Marcos E. Matsunaga <
Marcos.Matsunaga at oracle.com> wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I have some questions about how avocado works.
>
> 1. If I run avocado and give it a directory that has all tests. Is there
> a way to specify the order of execution? I mean, if I name the files
> 001-xxx.py, 010-aa.py, will it execute 001-xxx.py before 010-aa.py or it
> doesn't follow an alphabetical order?

There is - You can specify their order of execution in the command line:

avocado run failtest.py raise.py doublefree.py
JOB ID     : 6047dedc2996815659a75841f00518fa0f83b1ee
JOB LOG    :
/home/lmr/avocado/job-results/job-2016-09-14T12.53-6047ded/job.log
TESTS      : 3
 (1/3) failtest.py:FailTest.test: FAIL (0.00 s)
 (2/3) raise.py:Raise.test: PASS (0.11 s)
 (3/3) doublefree.py:DoubleFreeTest.test: PASS (1.02 s)
RESULTS    : PASS 2 | ERROR 0 | FAIL 1 | SKIP 0 | WARN 0 | INTERRUPT 0
TESTS TIME : 1.13 s
JOB HTML   :
/home/lmr/avocado/job-results/job-2016-09-14T12.53-6047ded/html/results.html

> 2. Lets take into consideration that same directory. Some of the scripts
> will have multiplex configuration files. Does avocado automatically look
> at some specific directory for those multiplex configuration files? I've
> tried to add them to the data, cfg and even the <script>.data
> directories, but it seems that it doesn't look for them automatically,
> only when I specify the option --multiplex, but then, the file will be
> used by all scripts and I was only able to specify a single multiplex file.

The original design assumption was that you'd execute only one test that
has a multiplex file, and provide the multiplex file with it, so indeed
what you wan't to do can't be done right now. I suppose multiple tests with
multiplex files and multiplex file auto detection would be a nice feature
to add moving forward, though.

> 3. I tried to find if it was possible to start multiple test processes
> in parallel, but it seems that avocado doesn't have anything like that.
> Lets say I have 4 guests and I want to execute performance tests while
> same time. It doesn't have a feature that will do that, right?

Executing tests in multiple remote machines was something that we din't
think about either, and one that would be very interesting to add indeed.

What you can do for now is to start 4 parallel separate instances of
avocado, one for each machine. Each execution will create its own job
directory, though.

> Thanks for your time and help.

Cheers!