[Avocado-devel] Heads-up: dropping Python 2.6 support

Cleber Rosa crosa at redhat.com
Tue Feb 7 13:41:39 UTC 2017

On 02/07/2017 08:34 AM, Andrei Stepanov wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 2:20 PM, Cleber Rosa <crosa at redhat.com
> <mailto:crosa at redhat.com>> wrote:
>

>     Andrei,
>
>     Running a command such as:
>
>     pip install -r
>     https://raw.githubusercontent.com/avocado-framework/avocado/36lts/requirements.txt
>     <https://raw.githubusercontent.com/avocado-framework/avocado/36lts/requirements.txt>
>
>     Would have probably saved you a lot of this hassle.  This is documented
>     here:
>
>     http://avocado-framework.readthedocs.io/en/45.0/GetStartedGuide.html#installing-from-standard-python-tools
>     <http://avocado-framework.readthedocs.io/en/45.0/GetStartedGuide.html#installing-from-standard-python-tools>
>

> Can I ask why we do not specify required packages for pip?
> http://python-packaging.readthedocs.io/en/latest/dependencies.html

We do specify the most basic requirements (stevedore) on newer versions,
it did not make into 36lts though.  We can still improve it and release
a new 36.x version.

But, even with `install_requires`, some older versions of setuptools do
not allow versions to be specified there, which would cause breakage.

Then, there's the question of too many deps required by some plugins,
such as remote (requires fabric), vm (requires libvirt).  We decided to
keep the list short and plugins just won't work without the extra deps.

You may have noticed that we're working on splitting those plugins that
bring extra deps out of the "core" of Avocado:

https://github.com/avocado-framework/avocado/pull/1751

> It would be fine if next command install all dependency automatically:
> pip install 'avocado-framework==36.0'

It *would* be awesome.  But as you might imagine, it is not *that*
simple.  Putting a `install_requires` and releasing a new 36.x (36.4
now) would be the first big improvement IMHO.

--
Cleber Rosa
[ Sr Software Engineer - Virtualization Team - Red Hat ]