[Avocado-devel] pre_command / post_command clarification

Cleber Rosa crosa at redhat.com
Fri Feb 10 10:16:04 UTC 2017

On 02/10/2017 05:01 AM, Andrei Stepanov wrote:
> Hi.
>
> We need a reliable mechanism to notify Beaker server about start+result
> of a avocado-vt test. As you know, avocado-vt test is one of the many
> tests produced from cartesian config. We need to notify Beaker about
> start+results of _each_ test.
>
> Currently we use: pre_command / post_command
>
> I discovered yesterday, that this commands are not called for FAILED
> tests. Especially those have a error in syntax.
>
> In IRC Lukáš Doktor suggested to:
>
> 19:22<ldoktor>astepano: Hello Andrei, the `post_command` is part of the
> `env_process` during the postprocess which means it's one of the cleanup
> steps the problem is when the postprocess fails before getting to
> `post_command` it will not be executed. It all depends on many factors.
> Anyway I don't know what all information do you need to produce your
> results but I'd strongly recommend writing either `JobPostTests` plugin,
> or if you need per-test granularity t
> 19:23<ldoktor>Also writing such plugin is really simple and there are
> examples in our sources...
>
> So, I want to bring our conversation to this mail listing.
>
> I am not sure that such plugin will do job for avocado-vt tests.
> Avacodo-vt tests generated from cartesian configs.
>
> Could you please suggest me the right approach to coupe with this issue?
>
> I need mechanism to call external program before & after _each_
> avocado-vt test. The program's environment should have variables:
> TESTNAME / TESTRESULT.

Andrei,

As a *very* brief answer, I'd say this looks like something that can be
implemented as a `ResultEvents` plugin:

 *
http://avocado-framework.readthedocs.io/en/45.0/ResultFormats.html#implementing-other-result-formats
 *
http://avocado-framework.readthedocs.io/en/45.0/api/core/avocado.core.html#avocado.core.plugin_interfaces.ResultEvents

You would write methods such as "start_test" and "end_test" to send the
needed info to Beaker.

This would be a feature generic to all Avocado supported tests
(including Avocado-VT tests).

- Cleber.

--
Cleber Rosa
[ Sr Software Engineer - Virtualization Team - Red Hat ]