[Avocado-devel] pre_command / post_command clarification

Andrei Stepanov astepano at redhat.com
Fri Feb 10 10:01:24 UTC 2017

Hi.

We need a reliable mechanism to notify Beaker server about start+result of
a avocado-vt test. As you know, avocado-vt test is one of the many tests
produced from cartesian config. We need to notify Beaker about
start+results of _each_ test.

Currently we use: pre_command / post_command

I discovered yesterday, that this commands are not called for FAILED tests.
Especially those have a error in syntax.

In IRC Lukáš Doktor suggested to:

19:22<ldoktor>astepano: Hello Andrei, the `post_command` is part of the
`env_process` during the postprocess which means it's one of the cleanup
steps the problem is when the postprocess fails before getting to
`post_command` it will not be executed. It all depends on many factors.
Anyway I don't know what all information do you need to produce your
results but I'd strongly recommend writing either `JobPostTests` plugin, or
if you need per-test granularity t
19:23<ldoktor>Also writing such plugin is really simple and there are
examples in our sources...

So, I want to bring our conversation to this mail listing.

I am not sure that such plugin will do job for avocado-vt tests. Avacodo-vt
tests generated from cartesian configs.

Could you please suggest me the right approach to coupe with this issue?

I need mechanism to call external program before & after _each_ avocado-vt
test. The program's environment should have variables: TESTNAME /
TESTRESULT.

Thank you!