[Avocado-devel] RFC: Guidelines for categorizing tests

Balamuruhan S bala24 at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri May 19 05:09:37 UTC 2017

Hi Cleber,

Please find my comments inline,

On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 11:06:42AM -0400, Cleber Rosa wrote:

> On 05/18/2017 09:42 AM, Balamuruhan S wrote:
> > This feature looks to be great and I acknowledge this RFC,
> >

> Hi Bala,
>
> Thanks for the feedback.  My responses are inline.
>
> > we have to consider two things,
> > 1. with respect to avocado-vt, whether tags mentioned should filter the tests based on
> > host or guest.
> >

> Right now, this wouldn't apply to Avocado-VT, only to INSTRUMENTED
> tests.  See the documentation on the already existing tagging/filtering
> feature here:
>
> http://avocado-framework.readthedocs.io/en/50.0/WritingTests.html#categorizing-tests
>
> > 2. Negative test scenarios should not be filtered based on this tags.
> >

> Can you expand on this, maybe with a use case example?  Sorry but I
> failed to understand your point.

If we have priviledged tests which have unpriviledged operations to be performed
as negative scenarios, and if class for priviledged test have tag :avocado: tags=priviledged
and class for performing unpriviledged operation have tag :avocado: tag=unpriviledged (as this
class can also be used by unpriviledged test).

if we use $ avocado run test.py --filter-by-tags=privileged the test should not skip
or if we use $ avocado run test.py --filter-by-tags=unprivileged the test should not filter it

Is this handled ?

> > by considering these in design for implementation helps us to achieve this feature well.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Bala
> >

> Cheers!
>
> --
> Cleber Rosa
> [ Sr Software Engineer - Virtualization Team - Red Hat ]
> [ Avocado Test Framework - avocado-framework.github.io ]
> [  7ABB 96EB 8B46 B94D 5E0F  E9BB 657E 8D33 A5F2 09F3  ]

--Bala